Prana Continuum Pant Review


There’s a huge range of climbing trousers out there but are Prana Continuum Pants a cut above the rest?


Initial Impressions

Prana are renowned for their attention to detail and sustainable components, and the Continuum pants are no different. They’re made of 98% organic cotton canvas, the remaining 2% being spandex to allow for stretch. Off the rail, they look great and importantly, the sizing comes with specific leg lengths. This means, along with the stretchy fabric, you’re much more likely to find yourself able to get that high foot move on your project without readjusting your pants before you pull on every attempt. No more using your trousers as an excuse for failure!

How do they perform?

Of course, you don’t need a climbing specific pair of trousers, but finding a durable, high performance, well-fitting and good looking set of trousers to climb in is nearly impossible.

I’ve worn these trousers out climbing most days for a few months now, in locations ranging from the bouldering wall to mid-mountain super-cragging, and I’ve started raving about them to pretty much everyone who’ll listen. Obvisouly, they’re only trousers, so what can be so good about them?


The lower crux of the Chamonix slab and crack classic, Fidel Fiasco

Photo: John Roberts


Fit: Climbing pants simply can’t be restrictive. It’s hard enough getting your feet high without being restricted by your clothing. Prana Continuum pants have a full inseam gusset, articulated knees and stretchy fabric, which eliminates almost all of the issues you normally face with non-specific climbing trousers. The cut is casual and loose.


Durability: I’ve lost count of the number of torn crotches, holed knees, split bottoms and ripped pockets I’ve created halfway up some gritstone horror show. The alpine granite I’ve mainly been climbing this summer is equally as good a rock-type as any for destroying clothing, especially trousers. These trousers have been dragged up granite off-widths, crawled through squeezes and over guano ledges, been bled on, walked a few hundred kilometres and have been vomited on by fulmars off the north coast of Scotland.

So far they’ve stood the test of time, taking only a “washed and worn” look rather than a “tattered and torn." I’m yet to put a hole in them. If only my skin was as durable to granite.

Even more remarkably, the infamous Fulmar vomit smell and staining was removed with just a couple of washes.  I’ve heard of many friends having to bin their clothes after close encounters with these horrid birds.

Prana Continuum pants providing more than adequate protection against the Fulmar vomit on the Old Man of Hoy, Orkney Isles

Photo: John Roberts


Detail: They have more pockets than I’m ever likely to use, but two things that have really stood out on these pants are: a small zipped pocket (great for the most important keys) and an integrated belt/waist clinch system. The latter means you don’t have to use a belt, and the way it’s been designed means they’re comfortable underneath a harness weighted with your huge trad rack.


Materials: 60% of the whole Prana range is made of sustainable components and the Continuum pants are no different, being Fair Trade certified and 98% organic cotton.


Overall it’s the attention to detail on all aspects of the trousers that make them work so well. Naturally, being cotton, they’re not great for long sweaty walk-ins, but as my go to pair of day-to-day climbing and cragging trousers, the Prana Continuum Pants are winning it. And, they look great in the pub.


Look good, stretch good, climb good!


by John Roberts


John is a climber and alpinist living between the UK and Chamonix.

John is supported by Prana.


Twitter: @johnrobeds

Instagram: @johnrobeds



Comments (0)

Login or sign up to be the first one to comment this article.